The 2009 NFL draft and by implication the Steelers 2009 draft class is now complete.The Pittsburgh Steelers, picking last in each round, save for the picks they got via trade, came away with nine new players.
The Steelers entered the draft needing to strengthen both their offensive and defensive lines, their wide receiving crops, and their secondary. They did that. On paper at least.
They also give themselves a shot at adding some depth at running back and tight end.
Here is the Steelers 2009 draft class at a glance:
- 1st 32(32) Evander “Ziggy” Hood, DE, Missouri
- 3rd 15(79) Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin
- 3rd 20(84) Mike Wallace, WR, Mississippi
- 3rd 32(96) Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State
- 5th 32(168) Joe Burnett, CB, University of Central Florida
- 5th 33(169) Frank “The Tank”Summers, RB, UNLV
- 6th 32(205) Ra’Shon “Sunny” Harris, DT, Oregon
- 7th 17(226) A.Q. Shipley, Center, Penn State
- 7th 32(241) David Johnson, TE, Arkansas State
That’s two defensive lineman, two offensive linemen, one wide out, two corners, one running back, and one tight end.
YOU Rate the Steelers 2009 Draft Class
As mentioned in a previous post, yours truly lives outside the US, and has zero access to college games. So I will not do you the disservice of attempting to grade the Steelers draft or evaluate their picks on an individual basis.
That’s where you come in.
- How do you evaluate the Steelers 2009 draft class?
Who do you think’s got the most star power? Which player did they not pick that they should have?
- Will Ziggy Hood prove to be a worthy successor to Aaron Smith or perhaps Brett Keisel?
Do you think a player like Mike Wallace will get time with a receiver corps that already boasts Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Limas Sweed? Who did they pick that they shouldn’t have? Are there any late round sleepers?
Leave a comment and make your voice heard.