Steelers Nation has waited a long time for this. Too long. And it is only 1 win that brings us to 1-4. But the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the New York Jets 19-6, and that sure feels better than anything else seen in a long, long time.
To be sure, the Steelers were far from flawless in this contest. The first quarter was no different than the first four games, no running game, zero protection for the quarterback, 0-3 on offense, defense unable to make stops.
But the Steelers dug in and fought back. A lot of guys dug deep, and simply found it in them to make the plays necessary for victory. Among the highlights:
- Ben Roethlisberger playing near flawless, going 23-30, no turnovers and a TD
- Antonio Brown, making catch after catch in the first half
- Emmanuel Sanders, burning his man on a 55 yard touchdown pass
- Jason Worilds, Ziggy Hood, and LaMarr Woodley making sacks.
- Lawrence Timmions and Ryan Clark shutting off not one, but two potential Jet’s touchdown drives