The Pittsburgh Steelers announced their initial 53-man roster today as Omar Khan continued to wheel and deal.
Over the weekend Khan dealt Kevin Dotson to the Los Angeles Rams, getting a fourth round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, swapping 5th round picks and sending a 6th round pick in the 2025 NFL Draft to LA. But Kahn has already traded back into the 6th round when he dealt Kendrick Green to the Houston Texans for their 6th round pick in 2025.
The Steelers cuts included some surprises. Veterans Zach Gentry and Tre Norwood got visits from The Turk, as did free agent signees Breiden Fehoko and Nick Kwiatkoski who played nose tackle an inside linebacker respectively. Quincy Roche’s second go around with the Steelers will also come to an end.
Here’s a look at who made the Pittsburgh Steelers 2023 initial roster. There is at least one more move to come as you’ll see at the bottom.
Offensive Line – 9
– Almost a complete rebuild since 2021.
Defensive Line – 7
– A solid mix of veterans and youth.
Inside Linebackers – 4
– Dare we hope this unit is finally finding post-Ryan Shazier stability?
Outside Linebacker – 4
– Steelers have good depth at this critical position. Knock on wood, they won’t need it.
Cornerback – 6
Joey Porter Jr.
– Have the Steelers achieved the right balance between youth, speed and experience?
Safety – 5
– Will health hold out?
Specialists – 4
Chris Boswell, kicker
Christian Kuntz, Long Snapper
Pressley Harvin, Punter
Braden Mann, Punter
Two punters? Not for long.
One way or another Omar Khan isn’t finished with his wheeling and dealing.